Monday, October 13, 2008

Canterbury












There was so much to see in Canterbury - I think I took far too many pictures! Though it was nearly none at all. My camera had two batteries I'd bought on Tuesday and another two fresh for backup. All were flat. Fortunately in Canterbury the sights are inside the town so I could buy new ones.
The photos seem to have been uploaded quite randomly. But here's the list.
1. A view of the ruins of the keep of the Norman castle. In the nineteenth century this was briefly used by the gas company.
2. A mound which was used as a tower on the city walls. It is a Roman burial mound and was also the site of the original bailey for the first castle built there in 1066, a motte and bailey style construction.
3. Walking along the walls of the city. The mound can be seen again in the background.
4. The Northern walls with the moat protecting it.
5. The gate for the Northern walls. Quite thick as you can see.
6. The Cathedral gate. Very impressive. And on either side were various shops.
7. The Cathedral as seen through the Cathedral gate. I didn't get inside as the Canterbury Festival was on and I didn't have a ticket. Bit annoying. Still at least I saw it from there. Very impressive!
8 & 9. The ruined Abbey of St Augustine. I can't remember when or why it fell into disrepair. Clearly my history hasn't benefited from seeing the original sites...
10. An interior view of the Norman keep as I was climbing the staircase in the North-Eastern corner.
All in all it was a fantatic trip. And the weather was brilliant too which helped!

5 comments:

Mike Harrison said...

It's good to see the city walls being appreciated. I recently discovered Canterbury is hosting the 18th annual symposium of the Walled Towns Friendship Circle (I kid you not!) and I realised I'd not had chance to enjoy much of the old architecture of the city recently. Your pictures have reminded me again! Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Was the Abbey ruined afted the dissolution of the monasteries?

The castle looked cool, did you feel like a Norman overlord? :)

Mike Harrison said...

I can answer that one! The Abbey was ruined after the dissolution, sadly. It remains, along with Canterbury Cathedral, a World Heritage Site.

Sadly, the castle is not really appreciated by locals. The nearby Dover Castle is far more impressive (and in one piece) but Canterbury Castle was one of the first built after the Norman Conquest of 1066.

Greg said...

Didn't feel like a Norman overlord in the castle, no. No Simon le Boeuf sensations there...But did love standing over the Riding Gate. That was when I really felt the history. Perhaps because of the contrast with the road and cars beneath me and the cranes facing me while I stood there.

Leonie said...

OH,
I LOVE THE PICS, THE FEEL OF HISTORY - WISH I WAS THERE!