Monday, November 10, 2008

Trellick Tower









A landmark piece of brutalist architecture! With which I fell completely in love. Designed by Erno Goldfinger, begun in '66, finished in '72, and to my mind a model for what all council housing should be like. Incredibly impressive, towering over the landscape. The seperate tower you can see is the lift shaft. Unfortunately though I made it to the lobby by following in a resident through the exterior locked door I then didn't manage to get past security and up the elevator tower. A real shame!
The photos are all of the building taken from different angles; the first is from the canal which runs nearby and up past the West Way (as in the innumerable Clash references, 'West Way to the World' etc).
That was my Sunday. Brilliant day.

5 comments:

Leonie said...

But I wonder - what would it be like to live in thst building? Sardine in a can?

Greg said...

No - cyberman in a space age home!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say, while I really enjoy brutalism, I can also understand why people don't seem to like living in buildings like that - it looks extremely unfriendly.

But also very Dr Who, so maybe one could deal with it. Or perhaps brutalist stylings are just better suited to public buildings?

Btw, I'm so jealous you're seeing these things! Australia has this weak postmodernistic thing all over, the only striking building I've seen was in Melbourne. It was a skyscraper with sloped sides - hard to describe, but cool.

Anonymous said...

Yes, another comment from me...

Just been looking at the pictures in more detail, and the building actually seems to have a bit of horror about it - I'm not sure why, just feels very disturbing.

Cool, but definitely not a good place to live!

Leonie said...

I'm with Luke - I am not sure it wuld be a place in which I'd aspire to live...look at perhaps, but not to live in...