Wednesday, November 19, 2008

York - Part III - The Museum Gardens













This was a beautiful place to walk around. I made it there shortly around three. The light was already fading. As well as these shots there was apparently a roman tower in the gardens. Of course as with my St Alban's trip I failed dismally to find it.
Still what did find and starting from the bottom: A wall and tower that was part of St Leonard's. St Leonard's was a hospital built at a date I've now forgotten, expanded by King Stephen, and which became derelict after the dissolution of the monateries. Where you walk now was actually the crypt with the chapel overhead. Then there's two shots of the ruins of St Mary's Abbey, the grassier pic also showing what's left of the Norman Church that was present. They're basically tracings of the foundations in amongst the grass. I took several more gothic shots of St Mary's ruins with autumn leaves, including the next photo, of the graveyard that is now inside the ruins. The cemetary is also derelict; I don't know when it dates from. There was no information and to take this shot I had to climb a little way up the ruined wall. Worth it to see inside though.
Finally there's a shot up the River Ouse from the bank where the Museum Gardens finished.
York really is a beautiful town. Every time I leave London I think that while London has lots of advantages it would be fantastic to live in another town for a while: for one thing you would have more attractive surroundings. For all that I like London it's not a very clean city.


2 comments:

Leonie said...

York does look beautiful - and you know, I love history. Would love to wander aroud those ruins and explore.

Pity about Londond being dirty. It doesn't show this in the pics you post.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, your pictures and comments make it really clear how central London really is to England. I knew it was, but seeing pictures of these other small towns kind of brings it home.

Are you going to the Midlands any time soon?