Monday, November 17, 2008

York II - Clifford's Tower
















Clifford's Tower is all that stands of the Norman stronghold to keep down the North. It was part of a motte and bailey style castle, built immediately after the invasion by William the Conqueror; destroyed soon after it was rebuilt, destroyed and rebuilt again. During the Civil War its roof was repaired to carry cannon for the defence of the city (true loyalists I presume, not odious roundhead rebels). The roof collapsed later when it caught fire after a salute was fired...It was left in ruins until the nineteenth century when it was again cleaned up.
The first photo is of Clifford's Tower itself. (Forgot to give the derivation of the name, partly because I have actually forgotten it! Something to do with a Clifford being executed and his corpse strung on the walls). Then there's the view to what, going by the sun, is the SE, another view of the cathedral as seen from the top of Clifford's Tower, a view of the inside of the tower, and the Tower's chapel which, unless it had extended elsewhere, was tiny!
Always enjoy seeing Norman fortifications though. I can just imagine the men of iron who built them, ruling with a mailed fist...super stuff. Perhaps in another age I could have been an oppressive robber baron. I like to think I've got it in me anyway.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Oh, I'm impressed. have always wanted to see castles and forts like that.