Sunday, September 28, 2008

Some of my Paris pics






As there were twenty something photos of my trip to Paris yesterday I'm not going to upload them all at once! Instead I'll do it and describe my day bit by bit.
So after leaving London on a bus at 10:15pm we crosed the Channel by ferry at about 2:30am and got into Paris around 8:30. The Metro was easy to work out - hardest part being tough enough to order my ticket in French without wimping out into English from fear! - so was in central Paris within about twenty minutes. Stopped for a French breakfast of croissant, orange juice, coffee even though I don't particularly like croissants...The coffee was great though and so at the next cafe I came across I stopped for a second. A quick word on French cafes. They're everywhere and I love them! They're almost like British or Australian pubs, the same bar, with table service as well if you want, and yes, they do serve beer, wine, and other alcohols as well as coffee, but at 9:30am un cafe did me nicely. Very cheap and I loved sitting at the bar drinking it.
Then started wandering around. These photos are: my first sight of the Seine (looking of Torrens proportions), ditto for the Eiffel Tower (though not with regard to proportions), and three shots of the Louvre, from the South, from inside the quadrangle, and from les jardins des Tuileries looking back.
By that time I'd also stopped to look at several second hand stalls along the Seine and at McDonalds where the menu was much more like Australia than Britain. British McDonalds emphasises meat and there's not much of a healthy option. In France I could have yoghurt and fruit again!
And with regard to the 2nd hand stalls. In the Seine shots, the green boxes with white graffiti are the closed stalls. Owners come along and open them up during the day. Pretty awesome!

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Oh, I LOVE the pics - and the sound of the cafes, too.

Chris said...

You are living the dream Greg. To actually be there and experience the cafes - the smells, sights, sounds and the people.