Sunday, July 27, 2008

Last night and today

A brief post - I'm not sure when my wireless is going to go offline, as it does on Sunday evenings! But wanted to tell about a great dahl I made up last night, with tomato, lots of chili, garam masala and curry powder; and the big difference from the last time I made it, a clump of peanut butter. Really delicious! Next time I'll add even more pb. The flavour is quite subtle in this batch (probably because of the vast amounts of the other spices I threw in!).
Then today went down to the oratory for the 11am solemn mass. It was actually a latin Novus Ordo Missa Cantata, though I'm sure that's not the official name, and was a really cool experience. The refreshments afterwards were less exciting, as even though they were welcoming there was nobody there under fifty five...Came back anyway for Vespers and Benediction at 3:30 because I'd never been to Vespers before. Again, fantastic, loved the singing!
In between times I treated myself to a Chicken Dansak at an Indian place Nick and I had been to, and which we loved, then went second-hand bookshopping. I successfully stopped myself buying several books I desperately needed and have never seen, but gave in to 'The Oxford Book of Greek Verse', an anthology of Ancient Greek poetry from Homer to the end of the Roman Empire. Only three pounds, and you can imagine how excited I am!!!
Will definitely be doing some reading of that this evening. Have only finished the introduction atm, and as always with these things, feel particularly inspired to write in a crystal-clear Hellenic fashion. Of course, that is a lot of work, and I am a very lazy person...

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Yu are having an Indian fest - ity the avergae age at the morning tea was like 55! But good for you re hanging around. We have our parish morning tea this Sunday, Dad is away in Newcastle this week. I will email you the stuff you asked for, and a cool article on Bishop Fisher of WYD from the Telegraph.

Greg said...

Dad must be hating that!
Lookk forward to the article.

Leonie said...

Will try to send this weekend.