Thursday, July 31, 2008

A new discovery

The French Quarter! I didn't even realise there was one. Shows my ignorance. When Sarkozy was here recently he said that London is now the seventh largest French city, with an estimated 330,000 French nationals living here. Which, considering the proximity, only makes sense.
Anyway I went down there to check out some French bookshops before heading into the Oratory for St Philip Neri's relics. It was actually quite cool, far more authentically a French Quarter than, say China Town is Chinese. Walking into the bookshops I was always greeted in French. I was going to say I think my accent might have given me away as someone not speaking their native tongue, but on reflection, I'm sure it was flawless! :)
They had a good selection so I'll definitely be heading back. Also there were cafes and restaurants to go to, including one which was playing 80s music really loudly ('Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'!) and at 5:30 in the evening I think that's a good sign.

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Wow, sounds like fun - any pics? I'm sure your accent was flawless ( laughs!).

Greg said...

I'll take my camera when I go back :)