Wednesday, August 27, 2008

British Museum







I took Br S there yesterday morning for a visit - though I'd been with Nick we hadn't had a chance to go through the Assyrian section which I really wanted to visit (also so I could send pics back to Anthony who is interested in them).


It was a morning trip because I'd dedicated the afternoon to study. Along the way we detoured into Soho where I bought some Orange Bitters - essential for Vermouth cocktails - and saw an awesome Arabian coffee shop that I am going back to visit; if not today then tomorrow or Saturday. It looked so much fun, and so many pieces of coffee apparatus to buy!


Then at the museum was completely re-inspired to begin learning Assyrian (I have a second-hand reader and have downloaded a grammar). It was great reading about Ashurbanipal and his conquests, and the 'Standard Inscription' of Ashurnasipal, so-called because he had it written across every panel of the palace. It described his greatness as the strong one of Ashur, who was given Ashur's deadly weapon, who has brought the world into subjection, from Til'sha Abtani to Til'sha Zabdani, from the source of the Subnat river to Urartu; and other marvellous things. I was so excited reading it!!!
Anyway, the pics are of the museum, inside and out, Br standing in front of a guardian spirit from one of the entrances to the palace of Tiglath-Pileser III, and a scene showing Ashurbanipal destroying the enemy while to the left women and children are led off into slavery.
From today I might try to grow a beard I will then get curled and dyed purple... :)

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Anthony is totally into all things ancient Assyrian, as a result of your influence.:-) Happy feast of St Augustine!