Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thoughts on The Clash

My quote from The Clash in my last post reminded me of another conversation Nick and I had (it was inspired by that same quote, as we walked past Hyde Park). About how opinions change as you get older.
Three or four years ago I would have been 100% supportive of the viewpoint put forward by The Clash; I would have asked why these inequalities had to exist; why are there flats to rent in Knightsbridge for 10,000GBP a week when kids like The Clash were at the time (17,18) had, in the words of the Sex Pistols, 'no future'?
Whereas walking past Hyde Park three or four weeks ago I thought to myself: it's a two-way thing. Yes, those kids from disadvantaged backgrounds had - and have! - it harder than people who, like me, come from a supportive family, both parents University educated, etc. Still, by wearing your hair in mohawk you're not really helping your chances of getting a job, are you?
Which made me wonder if I was a punk sellout.
I don't think so.
Because I'm not saying those kids can't dress and act the way they want to. (In fact I'm more likely to think positively of someone in torn jeans and chains than in a suit and in a previous job was famous for the lengths to which I took casual Friday; with the boss's support I should add). I'm not against a lifestyle choice which puts freedom before material success. What I am against is copping out of responsibility. Yes, 'it's so lucky to be rich'; but if you think that's a desirable life-style, what are you doing about getting it? (Of course The Clash were becoming rock stars!). If you want that place in Knightsbridge, cut your hair and go to nightschool.
I think this is actually an acceptable punk ethos: to make your own decisions, to live your life independently; but most of all to accept responsibility for the choices you make. If that's a suit and an office, good for you. If it's a mohawk without a flat in Knightsbridge, again, good for you. Just don't whinge about what you've decided!
Or does that make me sound like a rabid right-winger?

4 comments:

Leonie said...

No, just a moderate! lol!

But I do see your point - of course, some people have SO many disadvantages and obstacles and we who are more fortunate in our lives have a responsibility, I think, to help them.

But I do agree that choices are made and sometimes these involve compromises - the clothing vs well paid job example. The having many kids and homeschooling and part time career vs travel/more money/more career options. The Should I Stay or Should I Go decisions..

Sabine said...

Hi Greg- one of your mum's online friends here. I enjoy photos of people's days very much so your blog is perfect! I wanted to mention a book of essays by a British doctor that addresses some things you brought up in this post. Life at the Bottom by Theodore Dalrymple.

Good luckin London, especially visiting bookstores and not spending anything LOL!

Greg said...

Sounds interesting Sabine I'll have to check it out - meaning to join a library here as soon as I get a permanent address so will put it on my list of things to be fined for!
(I can never remember when books are due back...)

Sabine said...

LOL! Yes, we have discussed with your mum before how homeschoolers pay for shelves of books, if not entires wings in the libraries with the fines! It is better now that most libraries let you check and renew online :) Btw - if you do read the book, it is fairly negative but interesting anyway and just essays so you aren't stuck with the whole thing!

Congrats on your productive day. Ich glaub es war sehr gut! My German is terrible and I'm a native....go figure.